April 21, 2010

My Libraries: Sheffield, UK

In my short life, I've belonged to a few libraries. Not an alarming amount, but a few (like, 5. But for a young gal, that's a lot!) They each have their pros and cons, but I do have a favorite. And honestly, it wasn't the "best" library in terms of internet access or collections.

But it was the most charming.

Welcome, ladies and gentleman, to the Broomhill Library.



I know! It's too precious!

I can barely type this you guys; it just brings back so many memories. This library is tiny. Like, the bottom floor of a very very old English home tiny. And it is precious. If only I had interior pictures! For such a small library, it has a decent selection of fiction and travel guides. I found the travel guides pertaining to Ireland and the UK to be particularly useful, as I was studying abroad at University of Sheffield at the time. There was also a fairly well stocked biography section, although it seemed slightly biased towards members of the British Royal Family. The fiction section was the majority of the collection. I don't recall if they had a lot of teen materials, or if YA lit was even separated. I do remember seeing an awful lot of "chick lit" in the stacks.

But most of all, the reason I loved this library was that it was exactly the library I imagined Miss Marple frequented: a sunny, inviting place full of kind librarians, good books, a few computers (okay, Miss Marple didn't have those), and other readers. I never once felt out of place there. While the library may not have a large collection, it was connected to the many branches in Sheffield and could get you pretty much anything, anytime (as any library should). It also was a quick bus ride to the Central Library (which was also excellent.) In fact, that is where I found the location of a pet store to purchase my English fish, Dorian and Mildred.

While modern construction and gleaming new libraries have their advantages, I think I could happily work around the problems of an old building if it was as sweet as this one. There are ways to expand and work with what you've got, and while it may not be ideal, I love that generations of readers have fallen in love with books here. Old buildings are often gorgeous, and retrofitting them should be considered an option more often!

In the end, who can resist a library in an old stone house, tucked in amongst neighboring homes, on a steep hill, with bushes and flowers all around, a bright red door welcoming you in?

Photo credit: Sheffield City Council

No comments:

Post a Comment