May 25, 2010

Digital Tour

Apartment Therapy is consistently one of my favorite sites, and their feed into my Google Reader is always a fun way to start the day. Today they pointed me towards the digital tour of the Robie House, a Frank Lloyd Wright building in Chicago. Robie House is located in Hyde Park, Chicago, right on the University of Chicago campus. I was lucky enough to tour this home in the flesh a few years ago. Wright's architectural style strikes a chord with me, perhaps because it celebrates and emphasizes the natural Midwestern landscape. Robie House is one of my favorite buildings (I've toured a few of Wright's buildings) and I am very excited that this restoration has been undertaken.



The digital tour online is a great example of how technology can be used to celebrate, enhance, and archive work done in "real life." While I don't think anything can compare to seeing the real house, this is a great way for people without the means to travel to see this masterpiece. It also allows a lot of information to be provided to these digital tourists. While preservation of websites is always a problem, for the time being this digital tour is a wonderful way to document the progress made on this historic site.

I highly encourage you to visit the Robie House if you're in Chicago anytime soon. You should also check out various points around Hyde Park, including the Roosevelt Chapel, pretty much all of the University of Chicago, and also all the bookstores near campus. Plus, you can check out President Obama's neighborhood (good luck getting very close to the house.)

If you're really into Wright, check out the offerings and work of the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust. They've got some great things going on. I had margaritas with a girl who works there once, and she was pretty cool, so they've got that going for it too.

Photo source: GoWright

No comments:

Post a Comment