July 26, 2010

Reading Habits + Stress

Lately I've been noticing that I can't seem to focus on non-fiction or even weightier fiction. All that holds my attention is fun, fast, fluff. I'm not sure if this is due to summer or other emotional stressors. It may be that due to all the heavy stuff going on in my life right now, the lighter fare allows me to escape. Books that allow you to totally disengage from your real life and to not think about "the big issues" can be helpful at times like this. The escapism factor has been studied a lot in terms of romance readers. I totally understand this. In fact, some of the smartest women I know love romance novels.

During times of great stress or emotional depth, the computer can actually be distracting for me. The wealth of information and the ability to find so much makes it hard to break off and focus on myself. To focus on simple things, like the way I'm breathing, or if my heart is beating too fast, or if I feel like I'm going to vomit...you know, the physical signs that you've got to stop. Just stop. And get a hold of yourself. Well, reading lets me do that. Reading a book gives you a chance to slow down. There are no hyperlinks. No other tabs to keep an eye on. No one gchatting you and interrupting the reading process. Book reading is a mental but also a physical act. For this reason, it seems therapeutic.

While I normally try to balance my reading between non-fiction, literary fiction, plus the occasional fluff, I've given this summer over to fluff. So, if anyone has some light reading they would recommend, please send it along. I have a long list of other titles that will be attempted come fall and colder weather. For now, bring on the mysteries, romance novels, and adventure stories. This will be a time to dream of different worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment