May 5, 2010

My Libraries: Wauwatosa, WI



Continuing the series about libraries I've belonged to, we're going back to the very beginning. The Wauwatosa Public Library in Wauwatosa, WI was the first library I ever used. I got my first library card here when I was 7 years old.

The library is a really gorgeous building. The first floor is dedicated to circulation, administrative offices, and meeting rooms. Up a lovely staircase, we get to the adult and children sections. These are separate rooms, both quite large, and very different in style, tone, and atmosphere. I loved the children room. There was an amazing librarian with bright red hair who used to do storytime. She was a really lovely lady--kind, fun, and warm, just as a youth librarian ought to be. The story time room was renovated recently--within the past 8 years. It has these amazing doors that look like giant books. It's separated from the main room, which allows for separate events and noise levels.

The adult section, which I've been using since I was about 11 or 12, is much darker and quieter. There are some seating areas in the large glass window sections, near the magazines and newspapers. This was one of my favorite spots to read and study as a teenager. I still like to spend time there when I'm home for vacations or holidays.

My favorite thing about this library is the space. While the collections need to be weeded and the web page is actually embarassing (I almost couldn't bring myself to link to it here) the space is amazing. The staff is very helpful and fun. With some modernization and innovation, I think this could be one of the best libraries in Wisconsin. Whether that will happen remains to be seen. Tosa is not hiring, so I can't imagine any fresh blood will be injected to keep them fresh. It really needs it.

Although this library has some issues with its collections and online resources, it is very busy. People love this library and support for the library is strong within the community. With a proactive, innovative staff, this library could become even better. If you are a Wauwatosa resident, email your mayor, alderperson, or the library and ask for a new website, increased resources, or whatever you think it needs. The library exists to serve the people of Wauwatosa, and I know it would be pleased to hear from you.

Photo source: Wauwatosa Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment