July 6, 2010

Obstacle Overcome

As you may know, I have a hard time openly reading certain books. I also have decided to record each book I read this year. Today my resolve to read openly and publicly was tested for the first time.

I read a lot of review journals at work, and sometimes I read the fiction reviews for personal reasons, even though I don't buy these for the library. Today I ran across the most over the top review for what sounded like an over the top book. To make the situation even better, it was a romance novel! Some friends and I started a romance novel book club last summer and have thus far not picked a book for the inaugural read of Summer 2010. It seemed like the perfect choice. We didn't have it, but we had another, even more ridiculous title, on the shelf.



I had to read it.

However, I was embarrassed to a) be seen by the circulation people and b) ashamed to have to own up to reading it on my end of year list.

The solution to a? Self-check machines.

This wonderful machine, while *maybe* eliminating some human jobs in the long run, has made it so much easier for me to check out each and every book I want to read. I don't feel ashamed because no human (especially not a human that I work with) sees what I'm reading. It makes me feel a bit better. Library records should be private, but when you're working with the people checking you out, you know they notice what you're reading.

The answer to b? Well, I decided to tell you all right now so I can't lie later.

I'll let you know how it is.

photo source

No comments:

Post a Comment